Saturday, October 25, 2008

Colonel John Mayo II

Yesterday, while touring the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, I spotted a portrait of JOHN MAYO. Photography was not permitted inside and I was too tired to take any notes, so I have only my "Vanishing Memories" to remind me of what I saw.

I found online a listing of "Artists and Artisans Represented in the Julian Wood Glass Jr. Gallery," which lists the portrait I saw as "Colonel John Mayo II (1760-1818)" and the artist as "Charles B. J. F. de Saint-Mémin (1770–1852)."

This Colonel JOHN MAYO II seems to be a descendant of the JOSEPH MAYO and ELIZABETH HOOPER on page 182 of "So Obscure A Person.” ELIZABETH's HOOPER family were the ancestors of the HOOPER wife of ALEXANDER STINSON, who appears on pages 40, 41, 194, 206 and 207 of my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment